Fernglen Native Plant Gardens
- enjoy a tranquil native environment
Fernglen Gardens are located in Kauri Road, Birkenhead and owned by the Auckland Council and administered by the Auckland Council Parks Department.
Fernglen is devoted solely to the growing and preservation of New Zealand plants. The gardens consist of approximately 9 acres of Kauri Association bush with roughly half an acre under cultivation.
Well maintained walking tracks provide an excellent opportunity to observe many interesting species including two 300 year old kauri and ancient rimus clothed in epiphytes.
This website provides information on what Fernglen has to offer:
For contact details and how to find Fernglen go to the Contact Us page.
For information on the Education Centre facilities, history and becoming a Friend of Fernglen go to the About Us page.
For details on the gardens and bush walks visit The Walk page.
An inventory of plants at Fernglen can be found by visiting the Plants page.
To learn about the different animals found at Fernglen visit the Fauna page.
Up and coming events can be viewed on the Events page.
The membership page is for information and news for members of Friends of Fernglen.
The Education page will show how Fernglen can be used as a valuable resource by school teachers for school children to learn about native New Zealand plants.
Accessibility features are listed on the Site Map page.
Of special interest to Fernglen visitors will be:
- The collection of rare alpine plants
- View other rare and endangered plants from throughout the New Zealand botanic region
- An enclosed Fernery containing 'Prince of Wales Feather Fern'
- A bush walk across serene nikau tree fern gully surrounded by a great variety of native bush
- The smallest conifer in the world
- The largest forget-me-not in the world
- Birds all year round: Riroriro (Grey Warbler), Nakonako or Pipiwharauroa (Shining Cuckoo) Kereru (Wood Pigeon), Tui, Tauhou (Silvereye)
- Minibeasts galore
- New wetlands area where cattle once grazed and watered
- Spring flowers
- Autumn seed collecting
The entrance to Fernglen is located along the extension of Kauri Road at:
38 Kauri Road,
Fernglen welcomes visitors daily during daylight hours. We ask visitors to Fernglen to please sign the visitor's book located next to the information signs by the entrance gate before you leave.